Tuesday 27 December 2016

#100BOOKSproject Update: A year in Review


Given that you've found yourself here, it's likely you already know that this project started as a small effort to collect 100 books for one village school in remote West Papua.

I first called out for help at the end of February.  Throughout the months of March and April you guys sent me books and money.  At the end of April I did a pretty huge book shop, spending almost a thousand Australian dollars on everything from Encyclopaedias to Flash Cards.  

The count at the end of that first collection and book shop on April 29, 2016 was 201 books, doubling my target.

But it didn't stop there.  The donations kept coming.  People from all over the world have reached out to me.  In the last 8 months we have donated 678 books to 2 schools in different villages in Raja Ampat.  I have a further 130 books waiting to be distributed, a suitcase of books en route from Bali (yet to be logged and recorded), and almost a thousand dollars still in the bank to spend.  

Furthermore, I have had a meeting with an organisation who teaches librarianship skills in Indonesia and we are looking to expand the project in 2017 to involve rotating managed collections in Flores.  

YES!!!  ROTATING MANAGED COLLECTIONS!  REAL LIBRARIES YOU GUYS!

From the bottom of my heart I want to thank everyone that has helped the #100BOOKSproject provide kids with books.  I can't think of a more beautiful gift.

I wish you all the very best for a wonderful New Year.

No comments :

Post a Comment